Friday, November 8, 2013

Hopeful Metaphor

A tree as vibrant as David. 
My husband shared a hopeful metaphor with me: the pain I feel from missing David is like a burning flame. Every time my thoughts get close to specific memories, hopes, or dreams I get burned. The pain can be too intense to bear. But over time, that flame can be molded into something else, something different. It could be a diamond, gem, or crystal. It can be something beautiful that I hold with me at all times.

I know that sometimes it may still bring tears, but overwhelmingly, I will feel proud and humbled by who David was. I will feel love. I will feel thankful that David was my big brother for 23 years of my life. I will feel empowered by his struggle and more compassionate toward others. I will remember who David was, what he taught me, and what he encouraged me to be.

Today I am thankful for today. I am thankful for all the yesterdays. I don't know what tomorrow will bring but I have hope. I love you, David.

No comments:

Post a Comment