Thursday, November 28, 2013

Giving Thanks

I have always loved Thanksgiving. 

It's a day when I can let my flag of gratitude fly freely. I've always tried to be aware and appreciative of the many great things in my life: the most wonderful and supportive family, my husband and best friend, and many challenging and exciting opportunities. I've always felt very blessed. 

Each year I treasure this time as an opportunity to reflect on these blessings and feel especially grateful. 

In the days after David's loss I remember saying through tears, "But our perfect family, our family is perfect."
My dad was quick to say, "Nothing is perfect, Anna" in a sad and logical way.
I explained, "Yes, nothing is perfect, but our family is perfect to me."

Prior to losing David, I lived in a happy bubble of "perfect to me." This Thanksgiving, with things obviously less than perfect, I am left with the ongoing task of re-evaluating the way I see things. I am here, looking for the silver lining, the way I can make sense of it all. There are many uncertainties but some things are clear.

I am thankful for my family. I treasure each and every one of them. I am thankful for my loving parents and my incredible siblings. 

I am thankful to feel inspired and challenged by each one of them.


I am thankful for the most wonderful life partner Carlos. 


I am thankful for our joy-filled wedding this summer.

I am thankful for the gift of David's speech and blessing at our wedding.


I'm thankful for the memory of my three brothers singing "Sweet Caroline" at the reception.



I am thankful for who David was. 

I'm thankful for his sense of humor, unteachable dance moves, and passion for life.

I am thankful he had such loving friends and family.

I'm thankful for his incredible opportunities to create change and impact lives, especially through teaching. 

I am thankful for his accomplishments of travel, academic achievements, and living each day to the fullest.

David hiking near Machu Piccu.

I am thankful for his beautiful and exemplary life.

This Thanksgiving, I continue to give thanks. There is still much to be thankful for.

David isn't with us in person, but he is here in spirit. 

He will forever be a part of our family, and that family will forever be perfect to me.



*Wedding photos by Kim Ozey Photography
*Family portrait by Emily Ann Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment